[paludis-user] instruo gives errors

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Wed May 13 16:57:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 20:38:50 +0400
denisgolovan <denisgolovan at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Sometimes I have strange memory problems when using instruo to
> rebuild metadata caches for all my repositories (22 repositories for
> now). Suddenly I have a lot of errors like following in my log file
> and my swap becomes full. Memory leak is here?

How much memory do you have?

Once we've loaded or generated metadata, we keep it in memory
indefinitely for performance reasons. The upshot of this is, if you're
generating lots of metadata for huge repositories, we use a lot of RAM.

That's a design decision -- the assumption is, instruo will only be run
for huge repositories on big central servers where it's not an issue,
so we've never bothered to add in special behaviour for 'forgetting'
things we've read. If there are places where this isn't the case, we
need to either make instruo smarter or determine whether instruo is the
correct tool for the job.