[paludis-user] Disable prepended string in output

Benjamin R. Haskell paludis at benizi.com
Fri Jun 6 18:16:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:41:45 -0400 (EDT) "Benjamin R. Haskell" <paludis at benizi.com> wrote:
>> Err... just realized update-eix is a hook. But, question remains, as
>> I still don't really want the markers.
>
> And this is why we have markers for hooks.

<tongue_in_cheek reason="couldn't resist">
This seems like the opposite of why you have markers for hooks. I assume
you don't have them because I don't want them.
</tongue_in_cheek>

The rationale makes sense -- distinguishing paludis output from hook
output -- but it'd still be nice to disable it. I don't install dodgy
hooks from forums, and I want the output for the ones I have installed.
So, this falls into the category of "debugging information" for me, which
I usually don't want until I need it. (Hence my PALUDIS_OPTIONS contains
"--log-level warning", e.g., rather than the default)

But, having done tech support, I realize there's no good reason for you
(dev(s)) to remove it, so I'll hack it locally. (The benefit to me is
outweighed by the development+support effort by you.)

As an aside:

I was doing some work for a former employer last weekend where my
preferred machine had Gentoo that was installed long ago. I needed to
install the Eclipse SDK for something, and I'm positive that installing
paludis via emerge and the 52 eclipse-sdk dependencies via paludis took
less time than emerge would have taken to resolve those dependencies
(based on getting too impatient with emerge after fifteen minutes, and
installing everything in about twenty).

Thanks,
Ben