[paludis-user] mktemp blocking problem with paludis

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs.ext at nsn.com
Thu Jan 24 07:47:31 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Ciaran McCreesh:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:56:01 +0100
>
> Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext at nsn.com> wrote:
> > I just wanted to inform you that paludis has a small problem with the
> > new coreutils (6.10) blocking sys-apps/mktemp (because /bin/mktemp is
> > now provided by coreutils). When mktemp is uninstalled to resolve the
> > block, paludis fails to install the new coreutils, because it seems
> > to need mktemp for applying the patches.
> >
> > However, I've found two workarounds for this:
>
> The correct workaround is to ignore the block, upgrade coreutils and
> then uninstall mktemp.

Hmm, ignoring the block - need to look at the docs once again...

> Note that you'll need alpha9 for new coreutils, since a certain Gentoo
> developer thought it would be a good idea to change unpack's behaviour
> without an EAPI bump...

Yes, just found out that I was drawing the wrong conclusions out of
uninstalling mktemp and then seeing coreutils installation fail. Of course,
coreutils installation fails because of this lzma compression which my
installed alpha7 is not capable of.

BTW: Wouldn't it make sense to add a feature to paludis that it always puts
itself on the top of the to-be-updated list (unless the update of paludis
itself would require explizit versions of other packages to be installed
first, of course)?

Bye...

	Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111
Capgemini Deutschland   | Mail: dirk.heinrichs at capgemini.com
Wanheimerstraße 68      | Web:  http://www.capgemini.com
D-40468 Düsseldorf      | ICQ#: 110037733
GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net