[paludis-user] disable annoying warnings

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 27 16:15:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:18:59 -0500 (EST)
"Benjamin R. Haskell" <paludis at benizi.com> wrote:
> It's pretty rare that it takes me several minutes to investigate the
> output of eix. The majority of the time, I'm using it to determine
> what variant of package-naming was used for some Gentoo package I
> want to install (e.g. 'util' vs. 'utils', 'util' vs. '-util') or to
> see whether the package even exists.

paludis -q can handle slight misspellings. paludis -q foo-util will
find foo-utils, fooutil and fooutils. If there're cases you think it
should guess that it doesn't, provide details and we'll see if we can
make the fuzzy matcher smarter -- the current implementation requires
fairly close matches to avoid listing zillions of short named packages,
but we're definitely up for improving it so long as we make sure that
any change doesn't do something silly.

> > When the repository's even available at all, which it often isn't,
> > the code it offers is either broken or irrelevant. [...trimmed...]
>
> Thanks for the details.
>
> The two hooks I use out of paludis-extras are 'ask' (though never for
> uninstalling)

See the FAQ. Ask is pointless.

> If not, is it accurate that  there's no "nice" way to un-blacklist a
> repository?

If people find a nice way of doing it, I'll just have to make it
harder... The blacklist should not be considered advisory.