[paludis-user] disable annoying warnings

Benjamin R. Haskell paludis at benizi.com
Sat Dec 27 02:18:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:51:27 -0500 (EST) "Benjamin R. Haskell" <paludis at benizi.com> wrote:
>> As with everything, pros and cons. And I generally prefer paludis's
>> "correct is better than easy" approach. But, given the purpose ("quick
>> overview" rather than "meticulously correct package manager search") is
>> there any particular reason I should wait 23 seconds for 'inquisitio'
>> rather than the instantaneous return from 'eix'?
>
> It takes you several minutes to read and investigate the output of
> inquisitio. The time taken to do the search is much less than that, so
> it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It's pretty rare that it takes me several minutes to investigate the
output of eix. The majority of the time, I'm using it to determine what
variant of package-naming was used for some Gentoo package I want to
install (e.g. 'util' vs. 'utils', 'util' vs. '-util') or to see whether
the package even exists.

Of the 94 times I've used eix for simple queries this year (simple = not
piped to something perlish), 52 had 0-4 matches. So, more than half the
time, I can make a decision nearly instantaneously.

Your argument might still be correct ("so it's irrelevant in the grand
scheme of things"), but I'll continue using 'eix' in this case.

> When the repository's even available at all, which it often isn't, the
> code it offers is either broken or irrelevant. [...trimmed...]

Thanks for the details.

The two hooks I use out of paludis-extras are 'ask' (though never for
uninstalling) and 'update-eix'. Neither seems incredibly complicated, but
both are in the "someone else already wrote it" category, so I'd really
rather not maintain my own versions of them. Are there
non-"paludis-extras" versions of these? If not, is it accurate that
there's no "nice" way to un-blacklist a repository?

Best,
Ben