[paludis-user] disable annoying warnings

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:06:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:51:27 -0500 (EST)
"Benjamin R. Haskell" <paludis at benizi.com> wrote:
> As with everything, pros and cons. And I generally prefer paludis's
> "correct is better than easy" approach. But, given the purpose
> ("quick overview" rather than "meticulously correct package manager
> search") is there any particular reason I should wait 23 seconds for
> 'inquisitio' rather than the instantaneous return from 'eix'?

It takes you several minutes to read and investigate the output of
inquisitio. The time taken to do the search is much less than that, so
it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

> Can anyone provide or point me to an explanation of problems with
> paludis-extras?

When the repository's even available at all, which it often isn't, the
code it offers is either broken or irrelevant. Its offerings are:

* a bunch of monkey patched utilities that have either not been
  submitted upstream or that have been rejected by upstream for a good
  reason.

* a bunch of very dodgy hooks. The ones that work are unnecessary -- if
  you want the functionality they provide, it's better to implement the
  necessary code yourself so you know exactly what's going on. The ones
  that don't often explode impressively badly, leading to whining users
  demanding support.

* which brings us to the support thing. Most users who are using this
  mess a) don't realise they're using it, b) don't know what most of
  the things do, c) ignore the "don't bother Paludis or Gentoo
  developers" notices, d) don't know how to tell the difference between
  Paludis problems and paludis-extras problems and e) don't realise
  that paludis-extras is not maintained by Paludis people. Instead,
  they are using it because some idiotic and utterly unnecessary guide
  on the Gentoo forums told them to use it.

Unfortunately, there's a certain mentality amongst a particular group
of Gentoo users. They feel that it is utterly necessary to rice up,
customise, tweak, modify and hack absolutely every program they get
their hands on, even if there's no need to do so and they have no
understanding of what they're changing. Most of those users aren't
really capable of inventing their own brand of chrome wheels, though,
so they go to pre-made flashing blue LED shops and refuse to follow
official documentation if there's a third party cheap spoiler howto.
This is exactly what paludis-extras provides.

If there were anything useful in paludis-extras, it would be part of
Paludis proper. There isn't, though, and we're sick of dealing with the
mess they're making.