[paludis-sekrit] Serialisation for resume command

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 05:58:20 UTC 2008

Is there any reason we have to stick with regenerating a fake dep list
for resume commands? It doesn't play nicely with continue-on-failure or
hooks, and the exec gets a bit weird. How's about something like:

    paludis --install --serial-format 1 --usual-other-stuff \
        'p;foo/bar-1.23::repo;0;;installed;success' \
        'p;foo/baz-2.34::repo;0;;installed;failed' \
        'p;foo/meh-3.45::repo;0;;installed;pending'

Looking at a DepListEntry... We have:

* kind, which can easily be turned into a char or string

* package_id, which can easily be stringified

* associated_entry. Currently a pointer. We could turn this into an
  index for the serialising.

* tags. Could be a bit messy.

* destination, which can easily be stringified by name.

* generation, which we can set to 0.

* state, which we don't really need but which stringifies easily.

* handled, which we can stringify with a bit of work.

Really, tags are the biggie...

From an API perspective, we could either provide a layer of abstraction
between DepList and InstallTask, or just add add() methods that take a
string set of serialised things. The former's probably easier...