[Exherbo-dev] BUGS_TO, again

Heiko Becker heirecka at exherbo.org
Mon May 11 20:32:00 UTC 2020

Hey,

I'd like to suggest the removal of BUGS_TO. It's not entirely clear what
its intended usage was or should be. Which is one of the reasons this came
up in the past [1]. Obviously it doesn't help that it isn't documented very
well in e-f-s. We never really used Bugzilla, where it could've served as
assigne. Even if we assume that it is meant as a field pointing to a
contact (which came up in the ancient thread above), it's not unlikely to
contain something like replica at exherbo.org, who hasn't committed anything
since almost 10 years. In my opinion git log <package> (or git blame for
specific parts) has much better chances to give you relevant information.

So, we have something with unclear semantics, that doesn't provide very
useful information in the first place, tends to run out-of-date and needs
maintenance while better information is automatically available and on top
of that it is scarcely documented. Sounds like a sure candidate for removal
to me.

If nobody says something about this, I'll remove it everywhere in > 1
month.

Regards,
Heiko

[1]