[Exherbo-dev] --as-needed in LDFLAGS by default?

Wulf C. Krueger philantrop at exherbo.org
Thu Feb 7 22:17:01 UTC 2019

Hello Heiko et al,

On 2/6/19 9:39 PM, Heiko Becker wrote:
> I darkly remember this came up in the distant past and I'm not entirely
> sure about why it never happened

Well, in the even more distant past at least, --as-needed used to break
a significant number of packages - sometimes quite stealthily and in
non-obvious ways.

There have been long discussions about this in Gentoo. You'll find one
of those threads here and, of course, it's pure coincidence it's an
email by one of our own...

https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/473ee6d31ba0b8bfff114d4f15c6117e

Somewhat later things were still somewhat problematic:

https://sigquit.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/why-asneeded-doesnt-work-as-expected-for-your-libraries-on-your-autotools-project/

Some more examples:

https://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking#Unresolved_symbols_in_shared_libraries

In 2010, that other distro enabled --as-needed by default.

Almost a decade later, things have probably settled down enough for us
to do the same. :-)

Best regards, Wulf