[Exherbo-dev] Alternatives descriptions

Quentin Glidic sardemff7 at exherbo.org
Tue Sep 26 08:03:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 9/20/17 7:02 PM, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 09:31:14PM +0200, Benedikt Morbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Bo Ørsted Andresen <zlin at exherbo.org> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>> To specify provider description has been added a new
>>> `alternatives_for_with_descriptions` function which takes a fourth description
>>> argument and puts it in
>>> /etc/env.d/alternatives/${alternative}/${provider}/_description similar to how
>>> importance is stored.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have suggestions for a better name for
>>> `alternatives_for_with_description`? Comments?
>>
>> I'd just add another argument to alternatives_for. It can/should be empty for
>> many things, like python3 versions, but it would be more consistent and more
>> people would know that it exists, compared to a rarely used
>> _with_description version.
>
> I'd like to get more comments on whether to break stuff to get wider adoption
> or make it opt in at the risk of noone using it.. ;)

I vote to break the existing function too. With two possible tweaks:
- we could make a new function and die-deprecate the old one altogether,
to avoid possible misuse to make it pass for some weird reason
- we could add a check that the description has a space in it (as they
should always be at least two or three words to be meaningful, IMHO)

--

Quentin “Sardem FF7” Glidic