[Exherbo-dev] RFC: Switch default "jpeg" provider to jpeg-turbo

Heiko Becker heirecka at exherbo.org
Wed Mar 30 17:36:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 30.03.2016 18:06, Calvin Walton wrote:
> After zlin reported on IRC about a test failure when using "ijg-jpeg"
> implementation that don't happen for people using "jpeg-turbo", I was
> wondering why our default jpeg provider is still the ijg library.
>
> Many other distributions have switched to using jpeg-turbo (at least by
> default), including Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, SUSE. As a result, a
> lot of current software isn't well tested with that library.

this not only leads to failed tests, but quite some build failures with
jpeg:9 (qtwebengine, OpenSceneGraph, calligra to name a few). One
upstream has even closed a bug report about such an error with WONTFIX
(They accepted a patch later on though).

> As a bonus, jpeg-turbo has committed to maintaining abi stability - no
> more rebuilding lots of packages with a new major jpeg library release.
>
> And so I propose to change the default provider used in Exherbo to
> jpeg-turbo. Does anyone have any objections to that?

On the contrary, a big, fat +1 from me. Thanks for bringing this up.

Cheers,
Heiko