[Exherbo-dev] RFC: Switch default "jpeg" provider to jpeg-turbo

Calvin Walton calvin.walton at kepstin.ca
Wed Mar 30 16:06:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,

After zlin reported on IRC about a test failure when using "ijg-jpeg"
implementation that don't happen for people using "jpeg-turbo", I was
wondering why our default jpeg provider is still the ijg library.

Many other distributions have switched to using jpeg-turbo (at least by
default), including Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, SUSE. As a result, a
lot of current software isn't well tested with that library.

As a bonus, jpeg-turbo has committed to maintaining abi stability - no
more rebuilding lots of packages with a new major jpeg library release.

And so I propose to change the default provider used in Exherbo to
jpeg-turbo. Does anyone have any objections to that?

There's still a couple packages that depend on media-libs/jpeg directly
that should be taken care of, but since jpeg-turbo is compatible with
the common jpeg-6b api, this usually just requires a dependency change
(no patches).

Obviously this would only change the default, and if someone wants to
use one of the non-standard jpeg encodings supported by ijg's jpeg-8 or
jpeg-9, they're welcome to switch it.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton at kepstin.ca>