[Exherbo-dev] [RFC] Unprefixed executables.

Alex Elsayed eternaleye at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 01:53:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 14:36:24 -0400, Calvin Walton wrote:

> On Sat, 2016-03-26 at 13:34 +0100, Marc-Antoine Perennou wrote:
>> > we can also make eclectic's alternatives system use
>> > /usr/share/exherbo/alternatives/? At least i get the feeling that the
>> > same arguments that go against /etc for this apply to the
>> > alternatives stuff in /etc too. We shouldn't overly focus on this but
>> > if we can potentially get a path for both that'd be a nice bonus?)
>> >

>> That would be really nice in the future indeed
>
> As alternatives are something that... "varies" at system run time, and
> is basically internal program state, it would make sense to put it in
> /var instead of /usr. Perhaps /var/lib/exherbo/alternatives or
> /var/lib/eclectic/alternatives?
>
> But yeah, I do like the idea of moving alternatives out of /etc.

What varies at runtime is really just the _current symlink and the
_current_list file contents - the rest really do make more sense in /usr/
share (or /usr/host/something; there are still unresolved issues around
cross and alternatives)

For those two files, though, /var/lib/exherbo/alternatives does make more
sense IMO.