[Exherbo-dev] [RFC] Unprefixed executables.

Kylie McClain somasissounds at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:10:32 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Wouter van Kesteren
<woutershep at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. what directory are we picking?

In the Gerrit changes, I saw you were using /etc/env.d for storing the
banned executables, which I think is a bad idea; things that are put
in /etc tend to imply a level of user-customizability. Sure, that
can't really be said for everything within /etc, but I think it's a
reasonable standard to give to things in /etc. My point, is that I
think it should be put in some other directory which is a little less
visible to users.
since i
My preference would probably be something close to the rest of the
utilities we use in exheres-0, in /usr/host/libexec/paludis, but I
have a feeling that wouldn't fly with Ciaran.

> 2. what will the implementation of the tiny ban scripts be?

The implementation you're using in Gerrit (banned_by_package_manager)
seems fine to me.

> 3. do we want some helper like dobanned and/or env like BANNEDDIR
> given by paludis and/or exlib?

I question the usefulness of a dedicated helper for it, but having a
BANNEDDIR seems like a good idea. The helper just seems a little weird
to me since it could just as easily be done with a `herebin
${BANNEDDIR}/gcc` invocation.