[Exherbo-dev] RFC: Requiring an ML announcement before adding new virtuals and non-light alternatives

Wulf C. Krueger philantrop at exherbo.org
Thu Mar 17 16:42:41 UTC 2016

Hello,

during the last few months, we've seen an influx of new virtuals and
non-light alternatives.

At least I'm not happy with each and every one of those - not to speak
of technical complications we've seen.

Nevertheless, the intention of this RFC is *NOT* to remove existing
virtuals or alternatives. That's an entirely different topic.

Thus, my suggestion is as follows:

- We require an *announcement* on this list prior to introducing new
virtuals and non-light alternatives.

- The announcement should be sent at least 48 hours before pushing them.

- There's *no* approval involved. It just gives everyone a time frame
during which they can discuss the addition with the person wanting to
introduce it.

- Said discussion will hopefully avoid later "strong dissent" among us.

If you want to take a look at our current alternatives, you can use this
(thanks, zlin!):

for m in $(eclectic print-modules --group Alternatives); do echo ==== $m
====; eclectic $m list; done

What's your opinion?