[Exherbo-dev] Getting rid of einstall

Bo Ørsted Andresen zlin at exherbo.org
Mon Jan 18 16:13:15 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 11:29:21PM +0100, Heiko Becker wrote:
> some time ago the question why we still have einstall came up on IRC.
> Well, I also don't see a reason why we should have a function that
> throws quite a bunch of default values at custom makefiles and hopes
> everything will work.
> Makefiles supporting DESTDIR can and should just use emake
> DESTDIR="${IMAGE}" ... install.
>
> I have removed all three occurrences from our repos (bzip2 even used it
> in spite of supporting DESTDIR) and prepared patches to remove it from
> paludis, e-f-s and exheres-syntax:
> https://galileo.mailstation.de/gerrit/#/q/topic:einstall-removal

This was merged a few days ago, and thus einstall is now officially banned in exheres-0.

If any packages still call einstall, it should be replaced with an emake call which adds the parameters explicitly required by the package in question and no further parameters. In other words resist the temptation to just copy parameters from the old einstall implementation.

--
Bo Ørsted Andresen