[Exherbo-dev] Set CMake build type as build_option

Bo Ørsted Andresen zlin at exherbo.org
Wed Apr 20 11:32:09 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 07:54:16AM +0200, Bernd Steinhauser wrote:

> >>Just because I thought it fits into build_options. But that's the only real
> >>reason.
> >>
> >>(One of ) The reason against it would be that we currently just add a normal
> >>option "debug" if we handle something like that at all, but we could switch
> >>those over if we can define a general way how to do debug builds for
> >>autotools and other build systems. And if we would want to, of course.
> >>
> >>No idea if there technical reasons against a build_options suboption and for
> >>regular suboptions, if there are, I'd like to know.
> >
> >My (admittedly limited) understanding of the situation is that build_options
> >are not visible to the exheres environment. I remember hitting this whenever
> >I was fixing a bug with dev-lang/go, because I wanted to try and make the
> >package disable or fail if [build_options:dwarf_compress] was enabled,
> >because it appears to break go binaries.
> >
> >That's the main technical reason, that and that I believe you'd have to
> >actually dig into Paludis code to add options to build_options. So, that'd
> >probably complicated it a lot more than it is worth.

It really isn't complicated.

> >I think just adding a [debug] option to the cmake.exlib that changes the type of
> >build would be more reasonable; we seem to use [debug] as the default option for
> >enabling debug features, or things helpful for debugging programs that are
> >changed at build time.
> >
> Well, then it might be better to just use the debug option. Maybe paludis
> improves there at some point so we can integrate the debug option into
> build_options globally, where, in principle, it belongs imo. But it's not
> urgent.
[...]

It would be a change to exheres-0. What it would require is the decision that it is
a good idea, and some decisions about interfaces betweeen exheres-0 and the user
visible options / choices. For the test build_options we currently have
expecting_tests. The debug option that we currently have should never be used
without a local option description stating what it does for this particular
package. CMake's handling of this does not really change that.

--
Bo Ørsted Andresen