[Exherbo-dev] Set CMake build type as build_option

Kylie McClain somasissounds at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:19:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Bernd Steinhauser
<exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de> wrote:
>> Why a build_option? Why not a regular suboption or option?
>
> Just because I thought it fits into build_options. But that's the only real
> reason.
>
> (One of ) The reason against it would be that we currently just add a normal
> option "debug" if we handle something like that at all, but we could switch
> those over if we can define a general way how to do debug builds for
> autotools and other build systems. And if we would want to, of course.
>
> No idea if there technical reasons against a build_options suboption and for
> regular suboptions, if there are, I'd like to know.

My (admittedly limited) understanding of the situation is that build_options
are not visible to the exheres environment. I remember hitting this whenever
I was fixing a bug with dev-lang/go, because I wanted to try and make the
package disable or fail if [build_options:dwarf_compress] was enabled,
because it appears to break go binaries.

That's the main technical reason, that and that I believe you'd have to
actually dig into Paludis code to add options to build_options. So, that'd
probably complicated it a lot more than it is worth.

I think just adding a [debug] option to the cmake.exlib that changes the type of
build would be more reasonable; we seem to use [debug] as the default option for
enabling debug features, or things helpful for debugging programs that are
changed at build time.