[Exherbo-dev] Set CMake build type as build_option

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Tue Apr 19 20:10:27 UTC 2016

On 19/04/16 21:58, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 12:39:00PM +0200, Niels Ole Salscheider wrote:
> [...]
>> It would therefore make sense to set the build type to the right value so that
>> these flags can be included. In that case we would also have to set the default
>> values of all CMAKE_C{,XX}_FLAGS_$TYPE variables to sensible values that do
>> not include any -O flags. CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE would for example only
>> contain "-DNDEBUG".
>>
>> Bernd Steinhauser proposed that we should set the CMake build type based on a
>> build_option. What do you think?
> Why a build_option? Why not a regular suboption or option?
Just because I thought it fits into build_options. But that's the only real reason.

(One of ) The reason against it would be that we currently just add a normal
option "debug" if we handle something like that at all, but we could switch
those over if we can define a general way how to do debug builds for autotools
and other build systems. And if we would want to, of course.

No idea if there technical reasons against a build_options suboption and for
regular suboptions, if there are, I'd like to know.