[Exherbo-dev] GUI option standards

Quentin Glidic sardemff7 at exherbo.org
Tue Apr 12 09:29:55 UTC 2016

On 11/04/2016 19:36, Bernd Steinhauser wrote:
> Hi Kylie, thanks for bringing this up.
>
> On 11/04/16 18:32, Kylie McClain wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I was working on making some changes to sys-devel/cmake, and I got
>> to thinking about the inconsistency we seem to have when it comes
>> to representing options for GUIs. We have some packages which have
>> just [providers:{gtk2,gtk3,qt4,qt5}], packages which have `X? ( (
>> providers: ... ) )`, packages with just [qt4], [gtk3], and so on,
>> andd the lack of consistency is kinda stupid.
> Not sure providers would be appropriate. One would maybe conclude
> that they all do the same, which is not necessarily the case.

Providers make sense for application wanting “a toolkit” to display
their windows on screen ; so gtk2/gtk3/qt4/qt5 are fine as providers.
But providers should not be used to enable a feature, IMO, they should
[[ requires = gui ]] if the option is there.

>> It is my opinion that we should unify these using a new option:
>> [gui], and then provide the setting of the toolkit of choice (if
>> there is an option) via providers: suboptions.
> Yeah, that was my proposal a few years ago. Due to laziness (or
> something else), we didn't come to a conclusion back then. The main
> question is: How do you handle different purposes of the option? Most
> of them would fit in gui:, but some won't. e.g. if it builds
> libraries that will enable support for the toolkit (bindings or
> similar).
>> This would replace the [X] option's usage as a way to decide if
>> graphical interfaces should be built into programs, and would
>> prepare us for whenever The Year of the Wayland desktop is here
>> again.
> The X option sucks and it always did. That's an artifact we took
> over from Gentoo and it's a bad one. Since it's a global option (and
> thus nobody sets a package-specific description), nobody really knows
> what it will do if enabled. Sometimes it will build some kind of gui,
> sometimes it will enable some weird libX11 thing, sometimes it's just
> some weird X-related library it uses etc, or even support for a
> different toolkit, that just happens to run under X.

On my "*/* -X" system, I enable X on some packages.