[Exherbo-dev] GNU coreutils alternatives

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Fri Sep 18 14:44:22 UTC 2015

On 18/09/15 09:23, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:

> <mailto:exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de>>:
>
>     I actually had the same question.
>
>     On 17/09/15 21:39, Kylie McClain wrote:
>
>         On 09/17/2015 03:18 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>
>             What is the compelling reason that makes it worth spending any effort
>             on this?
>
>         I have a few, actually.
>
>         1. It allows for more choice with respect to core parts of the system. I
>         wonder how quickly someone's going to crucify me for saying "choice" is
>         a reason. I believe it is reasonable to provide this option, it's not
>         that much different from how we provide the choice of libav over ffmpeg,
>         or libressl over openssl.
>
>     Well, this is not Gentoo. We don't like to introduce options just so there
>     is an option.
>

> Yes, this is not gentoo, but if we don't provide alternatives and options -
> Exherbo have not big difference compared to Archlinux.
for stuff that doesn't matter«.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't provide alternatives. I'm saying that we
shouldn't provide alternatives for things that don't matter, just because we can
do so.

>     Does anybody really care about space on an Exherbo system (serious question)?
>     (We are talking about a few MBs here at most.)
>

> I'm care. I'm use exherbo on production to host user vps, and i need to minimize
> base system , becasue all system goes to memory (diskless host server).
> SO i need to remove all unneded stuff. And i don't need to full featured
> compiler and other tools in such case. I'm prebuild all stuff on build host and
> use it.
> So please don't think that nobody cares.
I don't. That's why I was asking. If people say that alternatives for tool X
matter, then we can certainly think about introducing them. No question about that.

But with such a setup you're breaking the system anyway I guess. So the question
is if alternatives save so much time here?