[Exherbo-dev] GNU coreutils alternatives

Kylie McClain somasissounds at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:39:09 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 03:18 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> What is the compelling reason that makes it worth spending any effort
> on this?

I have a few, actually.

1. It allows for more choice with respect to core parts of the system. I
wonder how quickly someone's going to crucify me for saying "choice" is
a reason. I believe it is reasonable to provide this option, it's not
that much different from how we provide the choice of libav over ffmpeg,
or libressl over openssl.

2. Making the core of the system more flexible and interchangeable will
allow for easier usage on systems with low memory, or any other system
where usage of programs normally used on embedded systems is more
desired than their heavier counterparts.

This is actually my most important reason; the idea of having a single
package that can provide a lot of the base of the system without much
issue,s and take up less space than more full-featured is a very
appealing idea.

3. In the same way that the multiarch change proved as a test to things
like autotools, this can serve as a test to how alternative
implementations are out there and work just fine. I'm going to use that
phrase that everyone is probably tired of hearing me say now.
Prevents monoculture.

4. I'm willing to maintain it and handle issues with these alternative
implementations, because I know there's always going to be users who
want to use the other choice when it's available, because I'm also that
kind of user.

--
Kylie McClain, Exherbo Linux developer and Musician
https://somasis.com - https://github.com/Somasis