[Exherbo-dev] Integrity checking

Niels Ole Salscheider niels_ole at salscheider-online.de
Sat Mar 7 19:20:20 UTC 2015

On Saturday 07 March 2015, 18:59:04, Bernd Steinhauser wrote:
> On 20/02/15 22:15, Niels Ole Salscheider wrote:
> > Ok, sure. I am not opposed to using git annex but it would require
> > somebody to do the work - and it seems that there is no one who is able
> > and willing to do it.
>
> For Exherbo, that's true, although I think that it would make a very nice
> and interesting GSOC project.
> I even think that a co-operation with other distributions might be possible
> to create a perl- or C-based alternative using the idea of git-annex, but
> specifically for distfile / package / delta distribution.

I think this is a good idea but we would have to take action now if we want to
meet the application deadline for 2015...

> Apart from that. Would having haskell in system be such a big deal? It's not
> nice, sure, but if that allows us to use significant advantages regarding
> distfile distributions, we should at least think about it.
> In fact, we could still go for an optional approach. There, it would be in
> the stage's set and pre-installed, but if you don't want it, disable the
> functionality and live with the downsides (which is basically the status
> quo).

I really do not mind having Haskell in the system set if it solves the
problem. I just got the impression that this might have been one of the
reasons why there has never been any real work on it. But the main reason
obviously is that it requires some effort to get it working.