[Exherbo-dev] Adding Emacs to the stages set

kim at khh.dk kim at khh.dk
Mon May 5 12:31:42 UTC 2014

On May 5, 2014, Xavier Barrachina <xabarci at doctor.upv.es> wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Maxime Coste <<frrrwww at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > Note that installing a useable vim or emacs does not necessitate to edit
> > paludis config files, we could reflect that in the install guide by adding
> > a 'install your editor of choice' step before setting options.
>
> The thing is the user has to check the options of the package manager before installing.
>

> If not having the preferred editor in the stages is such a nuisance, could we note in the install guide that they could use the editor from outside the chroot if they need to? I mean, the editor is there, just change the path.
>

> I don't always have installed exherbo with a good connection to the internet. I see keeping the stages small as a plus.

If a potential Exherbo user is not skilled enough to google for how to use Vim for editing the first couple of files, or figure out that they can do it from outside the chroot as suggested, then I think it is a feature we only have Vim. That is nice filter of the kind of user we don't really want anyway :)

That said, to avoid having to install another OS as part of the stages, you could just add "mg" to the stages. The whole point of mg is to be like Emacs without being a full-blown OS :P I have not checked how big it is, but is should be quite small and if I remember correctly it has no deps.

/Kim