[Exherbo-dev] [RFC] || ( ) dependencies and virtuals

Bo Ørsted Andresen zlin at exherbo.org
Sun Jan 5 18:19:01 UTC 2014

Resending because I accidentally didn't send it to the list, sorry..

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 00:00:04 +0100
Quentin Glidic <sardemff7 at exherbo.org> wrote:
> >> It would be the build-time vs. runtime aspect of the := dependency
> >> that would matter here. I would go with :libav and :ffmpeg
> >> (inter-blocked) so changing slot would mean changing
> >> implementation, while forcing a rebuild.
> >
> > So how about versioning of the virtuals?
>
> What do you mean? Versions would be library-based. The dependency
> would look like "virtual/ffmpeg:=[>=${library_version}]".

So it might flip flop between implementations while upstreams compete
about who has the highest version?

Also what if both implementations happen to have identical versions?

> >> You mean:
> >> DEFAULT_SRC_CONFIGURE_PARAMS=(
> >>       --disable-ffmpeg
> >> )
> >> DEFAULT_SRC_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS=(
> >>       'ffmpeg --enable-ffmpeg'
> >>       'libav --enable-ffmpeg'
> >> )
> >> ? Why not…
> >
> > No, I didn't. I thought we were discussing when at-least-one had to
> > be enabled. I see your point.
>
> Anyway that would work (with the --disable in _PARAMS). Sounds a
> little bit hacky but better to me than having src_configure define
> for just one option.

I'd still tend towards avoiding such abuse. But maybe that's just me.

[...]
> >> To keeps things clean, and you only need to write it once per place
> >> (options.conf, MYOPTIONS) except in DEPENDENCIES, but here
> >> virtual.exlib helps you a lot.
> >
> > Clean? Most of this is arguing the cost is minor. Not that there's a
> > particular advantage.
>
> I have no really strong feeling against normal options, but I do get
> the feeling that separating this choice from normal options is a good
> forward-compatibility idea.
>
> Side note, I would consider calling these new virtuals “choices” to
> please Ciaran. :-)

Heh.

--
Bo Ørsted Andresen