[Exherbo-dev] Some X-related options

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Sun Jan 5 12:24:24 UTC 2014

I was thinking about the optional support for xinerama we have in some exheres.
Now for a short explanation:
xinerama [1] is an extension to the X server, which allows spanning a desktop
across multiple monitors (with some downsides). Originally, this was used to do
exactly that. These days, it has been deprecated by randr and it's purpose is to
provide applications with information about the physical screen dimensions. This
is only necessary for few applications, likewindow managers, media playersor
toolkits. Therefore, the xinerama option is a bit misleading, is it is more
about multimonitor support in *clients* rather than the server (which xrandr is
for).
In a world, where multiple monitor support should be mandatory (think about
laptops, beamers etc.), this ability should be always available.In addition,
libXinerama is rather small (takes less than a minute to compile and less than
200K disc space), so I suggest to couple it to the other X libs(which means that
it'll be optional if "X" is optional).

So while we are at it, I was looking at some other options, which fall in the
same category:
xrandr: app-emulation/vice and x11-wm/pekwm; Running X these without xrandr in
my opinion is just stupid. So unless there is a really good reason for this
option, it'll go as well.
xv: mostly media players; xv is the standard video output, doesn't take much
space and afaik, it is used as a fallback if accelerated outputs don't work; so
basically just about everybody wants this
composite (libXcomposite): this one is more questionable, since not everybody
will use the composite extension (used for composite window managers), but it is
small (<160K here) and compiles fast (less than 30s for 32bit+64bit over here)

All of these will of course be handled the same as xinerama. If you think that
an option should definitely stay, speak up now. ;)
Other suggestions are of course welcome, too. I should also mention, that once
wayland matures, most (if not all) of these deps will go away. Grouping the deps
will make it slightly easier to switch to a wayland-only system.

Other candidates I'm not so sure about:
dga: Direct graphicaccess
xft: X font support
xpm: X Pixmap support