[Exherbo-dev] Experiment: Gerrit Code Review for Exherbo

Wulf C. Krueger philantrop at exherbo.org
Sun Sep 15 14:53:07 UTC 2013

(This is a verbatim copy of https://galileo.mailstation.de/?p=225.
It's probably easier to read it there.)

As an experiment,  I've installed a Gerrit Code Review instance on my
server for use with Exherbo.

Gerrit is a code review tool and allows for

- - discussing patches and keeping the results for future reference
- - get notified by email about every change (if you want)
- - easily work on every official Exherbo repository (more to come later
if people are interested)

You'll find an introduction to Gerrit here:

http://gerrit-documentation.googlecode.com/svn/Documentation/2.7/intro-quick.html

Random thoughts:

- - If Gerrit isn't being used, it will go away. This is an experiment
because I think Zebrapig (albeit its undisputed merits) has inherent
limitations that can't be easily fixed.
- - Gerrit is not supposed to supersede Zebrapig but to complement it.
- - There have been controversial internal discussions about this.
Please keep in mind that I don't mean to take anything away from
anyone but to improve Exherbo.

Limitations of the experimental installation:

- - The Gerrit instance fetches repository updates every 15 minutes.
- - Pushing to the Exherbo repositories is for now being done manually
until I'm sure everything works as designed.
- - You need an OpenID to register. This is mostly for copyright reasons
as well and probably won't change.
- - In the future there might be a mailinglist that gets all
notifications from Gerrit. For now, please subscribe to notifications
yourself as you see fit.

How to use Gerrit:

Registration and initial setup:

1. Go to https://galileo.mailstation.de/gerrit

2. In the upper right corner, click "Register".

3. In the next screen, enter your full name (for copyright reasons, it
must be your real name) and choose a user name.

4. Paste your ssh public key into the box at the bottom and click
"Add". If you don't have one, there's an explanation about creating one.

5. Click "Continue".

6. Click on your full name in the upper right corner (where "Register"
was), and choose "Settings".

7. Enter a git/https user name. You can use the one you chose in step 3.

Cloning a repository:

1. Click "Projects", "List", then choose a project.

2. You should see several methods for cloning the project, the easiest
way is to choose the ssh method.

3. Clone, e. g. git clone ssh://<user
name>@galileo.mailstation.de:29418/alip

4. Install a hook that sets a Change-Id automatically (choose one of
the two alternatives):
scp -p -P 29418 <your
username>@galileo.mailstation.de:hooks/commit-msg <local path to your
repository>/.git/hooks/
curl -o <local path to your repository>/.git/hooks/commit-msg
https://galileo.mailstation.de/gerrit/tools/hooks/commit-msg

Submitting:

There are several methods to upload changes. The easiest is to just push:

1. Work on your copy of the repository, commit.

2. Push your changes: git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master

You'll find more details at
http://gerrit-documentation.googlecode.com/svn/Documentation/2.7/user-upload.html

You can use git review for easily setting up your repository clone and
submitting patches, too. I haven't tested it myself, though.

- --
Best regards, Wulf