[Exherbo-dev] Dropping python 3.1

Jorge Aparicio japaric at linux.com
Wed Oct 23 01:47:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Paul Seidler <sepek at exherbo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:31:17 +0900
> Marc-Antoine Perennou <keruspe at exherbo.org> wrote:
> > If no one has a good reason to keep it around, I'd like to nuke
> > python:3.1
> >
> > - it has been masked as broken forever
>
> It is masked because of the big python problem, not because it is
> broken in the meaning of "doesn't work".

We are working on the "big python problem", see proposal
#65<https://galileo.mailstation.de/gerrit/#/c/65/>on gerrit
if interested. (I will upload a python APIv3 and update the setup-py
exlib with a new patch set soon)

> > - we already have 3.2 and 3.3 slots for python3
> > - nothing depends only on python:3.1, everything is compatible with
> > other versions
>
> That are no reasons to drop 3.1 in best case indicators.
>
> > - setuptools is broken with python:3.1
>
> Tests for setuptools are broken not the real usage afaik.
>
>From my tests, setuptools 3.1 fails to bytecompile because of
script-with-bom.py, this can be solved by adding that filename to the
PYTHON_BYTECOMPILE_EXCLUDES variable.

> > If no objections, I'll drop it in a week.
>
> I see no reason to drop it as long as it works and it is still
> supported by upstream (security fixes) and yes I use it for some stuff.

I agree with this ^, I think is more important to ask how long after
the final security fix release will we keep a python release?
2.6 <http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.8/> EOL(?) is Oct 2013,
and for 3.1 <http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1.5/> is Jun 2014.