[Exherbo-dev] git-annex for distfiles

Ali Polatel alip at exherbo.org
Wed Feb 20 17:17:20 UTC 2013

git-annex is a way to manage files with git without checking their
contents into git¹. There have been some chit-chat about using git-annex
for distfiles management on IRC but we never really discussed it
thoroughly.

git-annex may provide several advantages to our distfiles management.
One of the main advantages is integrity checking of files managed by
git-annex². The users can use several remotes which make it a practical
way to handle mirrors for them³.

The deployment may not look simple at first sight but I do not think
this is the case. git-annex is written in Haskell but it is fairly easy
to build it as a static linked binary which may be distributed in
::arbor and stages. I have been using this approach with our radio
station for a while now and haven't had any problems⁴. We can also use
git-annex' special "web" remote to distribute files through http protocol⁵.
The special remotes and especially the "hook" remote can even make it
possible to distribute files via p2p or other protocols⁶.

CC'ing infra monkeys for comments.
Please discuss!

¹: http://git-annex.branchable.com/git-annex/
   http://lwn.net/Articles/419241/