[Exherbo-dev] Dropping the ipv6 option globally

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Thu Dec 12 07:59:55 UTC 2013

On 11/12/13 18:55, Nikolay Orlyuk wrote:
> I prefer to see Exherbo as a distributive which gives a good environment for
> developer and allows much more customization than most user will want.
> Having some people using IPv4 configuration for some libs/programs usually
> allows to reveal issues related with such variant in upstream (ex. net-misc/mtr).
> I'd prefer to to drop options in upstream first and only then in associated
> package.
There is a huge difference between providing options where it makes sense and
providing an option for just about every config switch a package provides. In
general, there should be as many options for a package as possible *but* only as
many as *necessary*.
It's just natural, that we don't get it right all the time, so if there is an
option missing for a package which you think really should be there, then just
hand in a patch which adds the option and states why you think that this option
should exist. If the explanation is good enough there won't be a reason why it
won't be included.

Apart from that, there is of course always the possibility to use modify the
exheres or use hooks.