[Exherbo-dev] Dropping the ipv6 option globally

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Thu Dec 12 04:19:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Wulf C. Krueger <wk at mailstation.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> It's the time of year again during which we traditionally discuss the
> removal of the "ipv6" option. (I've checked my IRC logs since 2008 and
> we always discussed this during autumn for some reason! :-) )
>
> Recently, we got a patch
> (https://galileo.mailstation.de/gerrit/#/c/298/) to disable the ipv6
> option for NSPR.
>
> I'm *not* in favour of that specific patch because it would mean we
> would basically arbitrarily remove the ipv6 option from random
> packages, not knowing what might break. Instead, I'd like us to just
> drop the ipv6 option *completely*.
>
> Personally, I've been running every single machine for the last 5
> years or so with IPv6 enabled globally - nothing ever broke. And that
> was independent of the actual existence of IPv6 connectivity (which I
> didn't always have).

As another insignificant data point: I've been running my machines with
ipv6 enabled as well without IPv6 availability for quite some time.

> As for the argument that things might break if someone doesn't compile
> IPv6 support into his kernel - things are likely to break if you don't
> compile-in support for your CPU either. Just don't do that then.

In reality this isnt that big of a deal.  I specifically build IPv6 support
as a module to allow me to run without IPv6 support randomly (for no good
reason but to break packages).  It doesnt seem to have caused any issues
yet.

> We should, of course, add some instructions about that to our
> documentation but that's something I'll gladly do.
>
> Comments?
>
> (Please speak up, too, if you're in favour of my proposal; I'm looking
> at you, Heiko and Saleem! ;-) )

I am most absolutely in favour of dropping this option globally.

> - --
> Best regards, Wulf

Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org