[Exherbo-dev] IRC commit messages for ::u-u (GitHub) repositories

Quentin Glidic sardemff7 at exherbo.org
Sun Apr 28 12:48:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

Since CIA.vc went down, we lost IRC commit messages for ::u-u repositoriese.
Official repositories now use irker, running on dev.e.o but it is not
feasible to make it listen to the world.

I developed for my other projects a system in three pieces to support
the GitHub WebHook. The specific daemon is github-eventc
(http://git.eventd.org/github-eventc/), which listens for the WebHook
messages. Dependencies are libsoup, json-glib and libeventc. Then you
have eventd and its im plugin (libpurple-based), to format and send the
message to the channel.

It can also support local git hooks, simply calling eventc (the CLI client).

Of course, we can always have a daemon to feed irker directly, but I’ll
maintain github-eventc for my own projects anyway, so why not using it
for Exherbo too.

github-eventc can use HTTPS, and is filtering requests with a simple
text token.

To support such a setup for Exherbo, we just need to install
eventd[purple], libsoup, json-glib and github-eventc (I may package it,
not sure it is worth it though) on dev.e.o, and run them all.
Then we just share the token with ::u-u repositories’ maintainers, via
IRC or email.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

--