[Exherbo-dev] [RFC] Rethinking fetchers

Alex Elsayed eternaleye at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 23:26:11 UTC 2012

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh at ...> writes:

> ...but does anyone use it, and does it really make a measurable
> performance difference for a substantial number of users?

Several downloaders support it including aria2c, a number of distros are using
it to distribute their ISOs (openSUSE, Sabayon, and others), downloading the
openSUSE install DVD using the metalink was several times faster than straight
HTTP on my home connection (20M down, 5M up), and we can easily specify a
FETCH_SIMULTANEOUS_MIRRORS var or something (EXTRA_WGET style) for fetchers to
set how many mirrors to fetch from. Also, aria2 at least profiles the different
mirrors and uses an adaptive mirror selection algorithm based on how fast each
is. It also supports saving that profile data between runs.

LibreOffice also uses it, and that's a download I could stand to see sped up.

See http://metalinker.org/implementation.html for what supports it, and there's
also libmetalink (it's on the page) so if none of them are to our taste we can
implement our own (like unpaxinate)