[Exherbo-dev] [RFC] Rethinking fetchers

Alex Elsayed eternaleye at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 20:25:55 UTC 2012

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh at ...> writes:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 02:54:47 +0000 (UTC)
> Alex Elsayed <eternaleye at ...> wrote:
> > In thinking about how downloading distfiles currently works, I had an
> > idea that might improve the situation as it stands.
>
> Is there anything really wrong with the situation as it is now? It has
> the rather large benefit of being simple. Do we need complexity?

I'm not sure it would introduce all that much more complexity - part of the
reason I picked the design I did was so that it would be close to how hooks
work, so that implementation code could be shared between the two. I also rather
dislike how the current system only allows one handler for each protocol.

For instance, openssl occasionally breaks ABI. If the user has one fetcher
compiled with openssl and one with gnutls and both are enabled, they will be
able to carry on much more easily since the gnutls one will seamlessly take over
if needed. (In the case of the openssl 1.0 upgrade back in Oct 2010, if curl was
compiled with gnutls it would have been able to act as a fetcher in wget's place
*in addition* to not needing to be recompiled for git.)