[Exherbo-dev] On multibuild and PLATFORMS

Benedikt Morbach moben at exherbo.org
Sun Jun 24 01:01:01 UTC 2012

On Sa, 2012-06-23 at 14:58 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> If you really want to do this, you'll need to figure out exactly how
> the "is it masked?" thing works. ...<snip>...
> And what does an option mask on such an option mean?
I assume you mean the 'masked by platform' thingy here.
You'd have to match TARGETS with your settings. If you don't -> masked
They might however be at-most-one, at-least-one or both.

> Do you just want to drop platforms.conf entirely?
Yes. noone has anything useful in there anyway.

> Also, what about things that aren't in the least bit C ABI related that
> are platform dependent? Does the "C" name get used to mean "anything
> that's a binary"? If that's the case, isn't "C ABI" a really stupid
> pair of names?
>
> > I am going to call this TARGETS from here on, but you can call it
> > whatever you want to call it, as long as it isn't ABIS.
> > (ciaranm will stab you for that)
>
> And you see why!
I am totally find with doing 's/C ABI/native target/g',
I think that's better anyway.

> > TARGETS="
> >     C: amd64-32 amd64-64 x86
> >     PYTHON: 2.5 2.6 2.7
> > "
>
> Is that a product or a coproduct?
just noting for the public:
As we discussed on irc yesterday, this probably needs to be decided at
least per target-class, if not even per package.
I would favor the later, since many will set TARGETS in an exlib anyway
(e.g. python, ruby) but it gives us more flexibility, should we need it.
But it probably makes sense to encode it either way, even if it is a
black box from the PM perspective.