[Exherbo-dev] Multilib migration after The Great Merge (optional)

Wulf C. Krueger philantrop at exherbo.org
Thu Jan 5 22:31:24 GMT 2012

Hello!

Disclaimer: The entire migration procedure as described below is
completely optional. If you don't need or want
multilib/multibuild/multiple C targets support, you can ignore this email.
We won't force anyone to use it. I'm only going to use it on my desktop
myself. :-)

We've now merged all multilib branches into master (this will go down
into history books as "The Great Merge"!).

Thus, we don't have any separate branches in our official and dev
repositories anymore and if you still have a multilib in your
repository, please merge it, too.

Now is a good time to write an updated multilib migration guide so,
without further ado, here we go:

- Switch to the multibuild profile in arbor.conf
(${location}/profiles/amd64/multilib)

- Ensure that CHOST is not set in bashrc, and note that CFLAGS will
apply to all C targets. You can use
MULTIBUILD_C_{32,64}_USER_C{,XX}FLAGS for individual C targets.

- Re-install/update sys-apps/skeleton-filesystem-layout

- Install sys-libs/glibc[bootstrap], note that this should pull in
sys-devel/bootstrap-gcc, too. (This is going to take a long time.)

- Install sys-devel/gcc[-openmp] (This is potentially going to take a
long time, especially if you have the java option set.)

- Install sys-libs/glibc[-bootstrap], you can let Paludis purge
sys-devel/bootstrap-gcc while doing so.

- Adjust your options to include the C targets you want and re-install
any packages accordingly. You might have to re-install lots of package
dependencies to fulfill a newly selected target's requirements.
(I simply did a cave resolve -e world)

--
Best regards, Wulf