[Exherbo-dev] Implied dependencies

Doc Holliday doc4holliday at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:48:56 GMT 2011

Until recently my understanding was that the packages in the system
set don't need to be listed as dependencies for any given package. My
reasoning was that the system set and its packages are always present
in any Exherbo installation, hence can be considered implied
dependencies. But it was brought up to me by zlin and sepek on IRC
that this is not the case and only some basic packages can be omitted.

I would like to pose 2 questions:

1. What is the exact list of packages that can be considered implied
dependencies and thus omitted? What is the reasoning behind that?

2. Why wouldn't all packages in the system set be treated as implied
deps? As mentioned above, the system set is always present in an
Exherbo install -- unless it's phukt up in some way, in which case one
has bigger problems to worry about ;) -- and thus all it's packages
can be considered to be always present and can be omitted from the
depends. This would give exheres a slightly cleaner look.

I am a new kid on the block, so please be nice. :)

-Doc

--
One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a
null word. (Robert A. Heinlein)