[Exherbo-dev] Annotations and ( )s

Alex Elsayed eternaleye at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 03:14:30 GMT 2011

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> We could do this, sort of like labels:
>
>     (
>         [[ requires = [ baz ] ]]
>         foo
>         bar
>     )
>
> where the annotation would apply to every non-compound spec following it
> inside the same or deeper nesting level. But to avoid ambiguity, you'd
> only be able to do that straight after a (, since otherwise it would
> apply to the previous spec.

I'm in favor of this variant - I like the symmetry with labels, since the
labels apply to 'each' rather than 'all' in a similar way. Two questions:
Would the first entry in the string be counted as 'straight after a (', like
this?

DEPENDENCIES="
    [[ description = [ Dependency for 'foo' ] group-name = [ foo ] ]]
    suggestion:
        app-misc/bar
        app-misc/baz
"

Seeing as this looks rather silly (you're specifying a group without even
saying there are suggestions), I'll raise the second question: Might they
also be permissible immediately after a label? I am not aware of any
annotations which make sense when crossing label boundaries, so perhaps they
should reset after the label changes?

DEPENDENCIES="
    suggestion: