[Exherbo-dev] Python improvements

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 22:52:38 BST 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:24:02 +0200
Bo Ørsted Andresen <zlin at exherbo.org> wrote:
> > Also, I dunno if there are issues having a suboption named the same
> > as an option. Or for that matter whether having it named PYTHON
> > would upset configure scripts -- I suspect some packages probably
> > look at the $PYTHON environment variable to find Python and will
> > get upset if it contains "2.6 2.7".
>
> The PYTHON environment variable needs to contain the path to the
> python binary you want to bytecompile modules with.

In that case the suboption definitely can't be called PYTHON. Just like
how the OPTIONS variable is populated from the currently active options,
if you called the suboption PYTHON then we'd be exporting PYTHON="2.6
2.7" automatically, and I'd really rather we didn't get into the habit
of encouraging people to change those variables.