[Exherbo-dev] Python improvements

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Thu Jul 21 13:52:11 BST 2011

On 21/07/11 01:32, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:

> Putting '*/* PYTHON: -2.6 2.7 -3.1' in your options.conf means I want to use
> python:2.7 for python things. It does not mean I want python support for every
> package that has optional python support.

Which I didn't say. But I think it means that I want python support for every
package which supports multibuild python.

Basically, aren't there two kind of python usages:
1. Packages that provide a version dependent, possibly multibuilt python support
2. Packages that need a python interpreter at build and/or run time

Obviously, packages can have both of them, too, but I fail to see why 1
shouldn't just include 2 in those cases.
But then, if it really makes sense and is supported by the build system, then in
those cases both option types should be added *with* useful descriptions.
In the other cases (which I guess would be 99% of all packages), enabling one of
the python versions in the PYTHON suboption should just include the python support.

So yes '*/* PYTHON: -2.6 2.7 -3.1' in options.conf should mean that you want to
have python support for everything that uses that.
If you don't want that, don't use it that way and switch the suboption off and
on for the packages you want python support for.
Even then it's easy to switch python versions, if you maintain sets for the
packages you're using it for or keep the options sorted.

> The question here is whether the following output is confusing or not?
>
> n cat/foo:0::repo
>     -python -xinetd PYTHON: -2.6 2.7 -3.1 build_options: ...

That is actually very, very confusing. Especially if the option description just
says "python support" like they usually do...
We really should avoid this kind of stuff.