[Exherbo-dev] Python improvements

Paul Seidler pl.seidler at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 04:00:23 BST 2011

21.07.2011, 01:32 +0200 schrieb Bo Ørsted Andresen:
> On Wednesday 20 July 2011 22:28:26 Bernd Steinhauser wrote:
> > > I think that would be useful because PYTHON is ignored if python is
> > > disabled and that would left " -python PYTHON: -2.6 2.7 -3.1" over
> > > that is irritating but more user friendly (as python is default
> > > disabled and PYTHON: 2.6 enabled). Of course there are other solutions
> > > like disable PYTHON: * or enable python, but in my opinion none is
> > > perfect except of this one, other ideas are welcome.
> >
> > Shouldn't the python support just be disabled if you set PYTHON: -*?
> > In other words: What's the point of the python option?
>
> Putting '*/* PYTHON: -2.6 2.7 -3.1' in your options.conf means I want to use
> python:2.7 for python things. It does not mean I want python support for every
> package that has optional python support.
>
> The question here is whether the following output is confusing or not?
>
> n cat/foo:0::repo
>    -python -xinetd PYTHON: -2.6 2.7 -3.1 build_options: ...

I think that's definitely confusing, e.g. have a look at git:
"python - Install helper scripts for git remote helpers, a compatibility
layer with other SCMs
python
    2.7 Build against python-2.7"
You can assume that with python option only the helpers will be build,
but generally some python stuff would be build and use 2.7.

But that should be solved with the python_abi rename.