[Exherbo-dev] Python improvements

Bo Ørsted Andresen zlin at exherbo.org
Thu Jul 21 00:24:02 BST 2011

On Wednesday 20 July 2011 22:31:14 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > I'll try it but I've modified the idea a little bit:
> > I mean to bind an option to a suboption (in this case PYTHON to
> > python) so if -python is selected you don't get the "PYTHON:*" output
> > for resolving foo/bar.
> > e.g. git:
> > +python: " -xinetd PYTHON: -2.6 2.7 -3.1 build_options: "
> > -python: " -xinetd build_options: "
>
> Oh. You mean, not having certain options shown at all if other options
> aren't selected? There are three things sort of relevant to this
> currently.
> [...]
> I wonder whether something like this is the way to go:
>
>     MYOPTIONS="
>         python
>         ( python_abis: 2.6 2.7 ) [[ *hidden-if = [ !python ] ]]
>         "

I like the idea of this but I don't think the suboptions should be hidden. I
think they should be masked.

    -xinetd -PYTHON: (-2.6) (-2.7) (-3.1) build_options: ...

So maybe rather a masked-if annotation.

> Also, I dunno if there are issues having a suboption named the same as
> an option. Or for that matter whether having it named PYTHON would upset
> configure scripts -- I suspect some packages probably look at the
> $PYTHON environment variable to find Python and will get upset if it
> contains "2.6 2.7".

The PYTHON environment variable needs to contain the path to the python binary
you want to bytecompile modules with.

--
Bo Andresen