[Exherbo-dev] unpack

Bo Ørsted Andresen zlin at exherbo.org
Wed Jul 20 01:42:14 BST 2011

unpack is really stupid at the moment for a number of reasons.

Sometimes you have an archive that contains another archive which also need to
be unpacked. The way to do that is to cd to the directory you want it
extracted to. Then you run unpack ./${relative_path_to_archive}. There's no
way to use an absolute path to the archive. There's no way to tell it to
extract to somewhere other than the current directory. unpack ../foo.tar.gz
does not work, but unpack ./../foo.tar.gz does.

If you have an archive with a non-standard suffix such as .txz there's no way
to tell unpack how to extract it short of renaming the archive or creating a
symlink to the archive.

There's no way to tell unpack to extract all archives except one. gcc
currently uses unpack --if-compressed ${ARCHIVES//ecj-4.5.jar} to avoid
extracting a .jar file. That's quite messy. Other ways to solve the issue
involve iterating over all archives in a for loop or listing all other
archives explicitly.

- How do we make it easier to extract an archive that isn't in ${FETCHEDDIR}?
- Do we want unpack --directory "${WORK}"/foo/ foo.tar.gz?
- Do we want unpack --pretend-the-suffix-is .tar.xz foo.txz?
- Do we want unpack --exclude ecj-4.5.jar ${ARCHIVES}?

Maybe it would be nicer if there was a way to tell it that the .txz is a
.tar.xz so you can call unpack only once passing all ${ARCHIVES} to it and
have the non-standard archive extracted?

Comments?

--
Bo Andresen