[Exherbo-dev] Changing repo and profile masks

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 26 20:32:23 GMT 2011

We seem to want to be able to classify repo and profile masks as things
like 'security', 'scm' and 'prerelease'. So a user could unmask foo, but
only if it's masked for being a prerelease, using something like:

    cat/foo prerelease

One option is to just extend the profile and repo mask files like this:

    # Eva Hansen Braun <ehb at exherbo.org> (29 Feb 2011)
    # foo betas aren't recommended for general use.
    cat/foo[>=2.1_beta] prerelease

Or we could come up with a new format. This would also allow us to
avoid having to parse # comments, which always struck me as being
rather disgusting. One suggestion was something like:

    cat/foo[>=2.1_beta] [[
        date = [ 29 Feb 2011 ]
        masked_by = [ Eva Hansen Braun <ehb at exherbo.org> ]
        comment = [ foo betas aren't recommended for general use. ]
    ]]

This wouldn't allow -lines, though, so once applied masks couldn't be
cancelled. Do we really need this feature?