[Exherbo-dev] Unmasking GHC 7.0.4

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:53:47 BST 2011

On 3 August 2011 19:40, David Leverton <levertond at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 August 2011 08:17, Markus Rothe <markus at unixforces.net> wrote:
>> 3. Uninstall all packages that depend on GHC
>
> I still haven't seen anyone explain why this is necessary.

It shouldn't be, as long as you rebuild every package that is built on
GHC.  I can see situations where this might be easier, however, if you
forget to list a package to be rebuilt, then paludis/cave will know
it's installed already but not that it was built with an older GHC: as
such the dep resolution will be successful but the build will fail.

So, it isn't necessary, but it might help with trivial mistakes.

It would also make it easier in this situation: you only installed GHC
for a few packages (say darcs and pandoc).  You then uninstall all
packages that depended on GHC, and after the upgrade you just
re-install darcs and pandoc.  That way, you don't have to remember all
the dependency packages as well.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com