[Exherbo-dev] Two xz questions

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 16 07:21:25 GMT 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:36:49 -0500
Tom Trauth <coffee71 at optimum.net> wrote:
> That said, why are the Exherbo stages themselves zipped with the
> still-unstable xz rather than the tried-and-true bzip2 when people
> are strongly encouraged to use bzip2 instead?  Isn't that a tad
> hypocritical?

Because I have nothing to do with the stages, and some of the people
who do don't have particularly fast upload speeds.

Also because stages are a temporary measure, not a permanent one.

> And I thought the packaging system was considered to
> be unstable until exheres-1 comes out.

Yes, but once exheres-1 does come out, we don't want to have to go
around changing lots of things to use it. The idea is that we'll
snapshot exheres-0 every now and again as a stable format.

> I'm not trying to be critical, I consider Exherbo to be the best
> source-based distribution out there right now and cave to be the best
> package management utility.  But I thought Exherbo was about being
> cutting-edge, not about being super stable a la Debian.

"Cutting edge" doesn't mean "going out of our way to make things harder
for ourselves" or "not thinking our cunning plans all the way through".
Going "ooh, shiny!" and randomly jumping on new things before they're
in any way usable and regardless of practical utility is the Gentoo
approach...