[Exherbo-dev] Two xz questions

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 15 08:58:39 GMT 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:52:04 +0100
Gaute Hope <eg at gaute.vetsj.com> wrote:
> > xz hasn't proven itself as a stable format. Once we add support for
> > unpacking a particular type of file, we're supposed to carry on
> > supporting it forever, which gets to be a real nuisance if the tool
> > one has to use to extract it keeps changing.
>
> If im not mistaken you already do this for regular source packages in
> DOWNLOADS.

That's the responsibility of each individual exheres, not the package
manager. The package manager is supposed to deal with stable formats
that will carry on working indefinitely (although Exherbo doesn't yet
consider itself ready for a stable package format). Exhereses, however,
change all the time.

Also note that we strongly encourage people to use a .tar.bz2 or
similar whenever possible.

There's already a huge problem with .lzma packages which was caused by
Gentoo considering it to be a stable format; there's no reason for us
to put Exherbo in the same boat with .xz.