[Exherbo-dev] Two xz questions

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 15 07:34:55 GMT 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:39:41 -0500
Tom Trauth <coffee71 at optimum.net> wrote:
> Why does expatch (in the src_prepare phase) support zip, gzip, and
> bzip2, but not xz?  For the sake of consistency, it seems like it
> should support xz as well, and I think such support could be
> implemented by merely adding the following three lines to its case
> statement:

xz hasn't proven itself as a stable format. Once we add support for
unpacking a particular type of file, we're supposed to carry on
supporting it forever, which gets to be a real nuisance if the tool one
has to use to extract it keeps changing.

As for all the other silly formats in there... They're Gentoo leftovers
that we've not bothered to unsupport for Exherbo EAPIs.