[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Fri Mar 5 16:52:30 GMT 2010

Bryan Østergaard wrote:
> You seem to have misunderstood our philosophy/intentions. Wikis makes
> it easy for random people to contribute random things, quite often of
> low quality.
>
> Exherbo has every intention of making contributions (be it
> documentation, new packages or whatever) as easy as possible but not
> without a fairly strong built-in peer reviewing system. Ever noticed
> how often patches are improved after being discussed in #exherbo? Or
> how much new users repositories are improved when they submit them for
> review in #exherbo?
>
> *That* process is extremely important and not at all well supported by
> wikis that tend to be update first, (maybe) review later. We want to
> review first and make sure we don't help unleash even more crap on the
> world. And the really cool thing about this of course is that we help
> people learn quite a bit in a short while and help raise the quality
> of all their work even if we only review part of it.

Actually, these days, the process in Wikipedia is similar. If you do a
change, it does not become visible for users, until someone accepted it.
It's still different in some aspects, but it is similar.

The main difference is that Wikipedia makes changing things much more
easy than Exherbo, since you only have to fill out some form on a web page.
For Exherbo, you have to learn git to create a reasonable patch (not
that I think that that is a bad thing, but it's more complicated).
I guess if you would make a web interface to create git format-patches,
you would basically catch up, on the easiness part.

Since you have to learn git anyway to contribute efficiently to Exherbo,
I doubt that the benefit of such a system would be big, though.