[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Angel Freire cuerty at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 16:43:16 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Ciaran McCreesh <
ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:58:05 +0100
> "Wulf C. Krueger" <wk at mailstation.de> wrote:
> > Am 05.03.2010 um 10:16 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh
> > <ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
> >  >:
> > > The problem with wikis is that most of the information on them is
> > > misleading, harmful, out of date or just plain wrong.
> >
> > Actually, that's been proven wrong. It's the same kind of FUD some
> > people like to spread about Paludis and Exherbo.
>
> Go and look at all the information on Paludis on gentoo-wiki, and all
> the mess the paludis-extras people caused.
>
> > A wiki may not be perfect for us but we shouldn't even try
> > preventing anyone to create an inofficial one.
>
> Yes, we should. Wikis cause more harm than good. They mislead users,
> which in turn leads to huge amounts of wasted developer time, and they
> distract users who could be contributing to official, maintained,
> reviewed documentation.

> > > If you do that we'll just ban anyone who uses it from all the
> > > official support channels.
> >
> > No. We should NOT ban anyone for using something or we would just
> > behave like the worst kind of Gentoo idiots. If they *behave* like
> > morons, ban them. Otherwise, let them use what they want.
>
> Following advice found in a wiki *is* behaving like a moron. Paludis
> users following 'community' driven resources have wasted almost as much
> of my time as the Gentoo council has. Putting up a wiki is actively
> working against having a distribution where competent people have final
> say.
>
> --
> Ciaran McCreesh

The benefits from a community driven documentation can be as complete and
extensive in a wiki as they can be in a website managed by a git repository.
But the git repo has one advantage: the patchs can be reviewed by competent
people first.

In the old version of exherbo.org there as a phrase: "Many other
distributions attach a lot of importance to the community, to the detriment
of the distribution's technical needs." [0] I think a wiki goes against that
idea.

In my humble opinion commiting git-patchs to a repository with the
documentation is the best way to handle it.

[0] http://web.archive.org/web/20080520230857/http://www.exherbo.org/

--
http://blog.cuerty.com

"If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need
millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke
to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on and the dedication to
go through with it."
- John Carmack